Five facts you probably didn't know about UK logistics
Trucks are amazing! Here are five facts about the powerhouses that pull our campaigns that you probably didn’t know. If you know one of your own why not get in touch and tell us yours.
- Eighty-five percent of everything we buy, eat, wear and use is moved by a UK-registered lorry. We’d be hungry, cold and naked without our amazing British hauliers.
- The amount of beer carried by UK lorries in a year would be enough to fill Wembley stadium.That’s a truckload of beer.
- The first motorised lorry was built in 1896 by Gottlieb Daimler who also produced the first motorbike and the first taxi. Don’t worry they are a lot more efficient and powerful since then.
- There are an estimated 285,000 HGV drivers in the UK of whom only 1.2 percent are women. There is a huge shortage of not only female drivers but also people joining the industry.
- The word lorry was first used in English in 1838 referring to a luggage truck on a train. Some blame road transport and the increase in car ownership for the decline in the railways.
Get in touch if you know any facts of your own
30th January 2018